Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Hey Everyone!
I just checked the weather and it is WARMER there than it is here right now! (Probably because it's night here and only afternoon there) but STILL! brr. It's only 7 here and 10 in Saskatchewan!

I have not worked Monday OR Tuesday yet this week, so I am getting a bit nervous once again about work. I'm sure it will all work out though and I'm just being silly. SO, I have had some time to do some exploring around the city. Unfortunately Marlee is working so I've really been missing my adventure buddy :( I guess someone has to be the breadwinner. Marlees...join me soon please!

Yesterday (as in Monday) I went to the Museum of London. I'd never even heard of it, but Lindsey said it was free, so why not!!! At this Museum of London is literally the history of London! hahaha. It has all the history of London starting in the medieval time. It goes into great detail of the Great Fire of London in 1666. I learned a lot of interesting facts such as: It started in a bakery; it burned something like 1400 houses and like 90 churches. It also burned down St. Paul's Cathedral but never did reach Westminster Abbey. It was a pretty crazy fire especially without fire trucks even though it was RIGHT in front of the river! Seemed like mass chaos that's for sure. The other exhibits were all about the Roman times and such. Right outside is part of the London Wall that still stands. It was too dark so never got a picture! After Museum of London we wondered across the millennium bridge, so I walked over River Thames! Pretty cool!! The good thing about visiting this museum is I refrained from falling onto something important. I'm always so uneasy in these places with 2348324 million year old things. Everyone knows that I'd be the dummy to fall into something!!

Since I never worked today, I and Lindsey decided to hit up this free concert in a church! It was at St. Martin-in-the-fields Church located in Trafalgar Square. To the delight of Mr. Lisitza we watched an amazing string quartet called "Kallisto Quartet." They are no Eastland Lakes School Division Band but they did a nice rendition of "String Quartet No. 7 in F major Op. 59 No. 1 'Ramsumovsky'" Bryce...this is your secret question..Who composed this piece???? Walking into the Church I was slightly worried that we were walking into some kind of church service for some religion that I'd never heard of and blah blah blah! BUT I was safe, I wasn't asked to give my life to something! The church was beautiful. It was of course old with amazing architecture and high roofs and big windows. Underneath the church in the Crypt is a restaurant that Lindsey said serves an amazing lunch. We're going to go there around Christmas to see it all decorated and to watch some Christmas carols! Sounds amazing to me! After our cultural music experience we decided to head to the Imperial War Museum. WOW. That is all I can say about that place. It is a must see-amazing. You walk in and first thing you see is different air craft’s, tanks and missiles used in all the wars. Although there are many different exhibits we decided to take in the one about the Holocaust. It was put together in such a strong way. They had people who survived the Holocaust in little video's all around the exhibit and it added so much power to it because you could see real people who actually experienced this horror. They had so much to look at, so much to see, and so much to think about. I'm still thinking about it some hours later about the effects it has had on the world. Crazy. Then we ventured into the World War II exhibit to go "Through the Blitz" which is an interactive course of what it would be like if you were in a location of a Blitz. It is so interesting all the stuff that went on during the war. When I was in there I just couldn't believe my eyes. It's so hard to believe that my own grandpa was there. He saw these things first hand; he used the machinery that this museum has. Pretty powerful stuff for me. I also bought some Poppies from here to send home (they are much different in England than at home)

All of this stuff I have been doing is absolutely FREE! It is awesome! There is so much that you can see and do here in London without spending a penny. I LOVE IT!

Things I've Learned...
(I've decided to now switch it up a tiny bit..It’s now going to be word translations for a bit! Chlorisa...I hope you find this just as exciting and entertaining)

1) "Jumper" - NOT an animal that can be found in any field or bush or small town in Saskatchewan but rather a sweater worn to keep warm. "Miss I forgot my jumper at school yesterday"

2) "Snog" - I have never even heard this word in Canada but it means to make out. "The couple was snogging on the tube last night"

3) "Nappy" - NOT a slang term for a napkin but rather a disposable diaper. "I need to change you're nappy before we go outside"

4)"Plimsole" - A running shoe children wear to physical education class. "Miss we have to wear our plimsoles to p.e." Seriously I had no clue what the heck they were saying I would just say..Of course you need to wear it/them...uh whatever to p.e. I had to ask Andy what they were called. eesh!

Alright!!! I shall write another very soon I'm sure..for now I drift off to sleep thinking of other words!!

1 comment:

mom said...

These places sound very interesting.Keep the blogs coming.They are like waiting for the daily paper.Everybody is enjoying them.Hope this works for a change.