Saturday, December 26, 2009

DAY trois!

We had to get up at 7AM again to make it to our train on time. We had a bit of a hard start due to the previous nights rendezvous. We climbed onto the train and it temperature felt as though we were in the Arctic Tundra rather than a train in Scotland. We bundled up and tried to get a few moments of shut eye on our way to Edinburgh.

We stepped off Edinburgh to the coldest weather yet. We bundled up sporting three pairs of pants and three shirts- EACH. Still, we were chilled. I'm not sure the temperature but it was indeed cold. It's not the cold Saskatchewan winter that I have experienced in my life- this is a cold, chill through my bones sort of cold. We didn't want to waste a day in Scotland so we sucked it up and out we went. First we went to the Edinburgh Castle. Again- a risky decision without travel insurance. It's another long climb to the top on the ice covered sidewalks. We rolled in just in time for a free tour to begin so we really got to learn all about the castle. The dude doing the tour (in a kilt) was possibly the funniest person I've ever seen. Most would find his jokes more than corny, but I thought it was just the funniest! Edinburgh Castle is old, some of the buildings have been there since the 12th century. The Castle is full of cool stuff. There is a church called St. Margret's Church that is the oldest building built in the 12th century. People still get married there and it can only fit 25 people. There is also a war memorial building where all the soldiers from Scotland who have died in any war is written in a book. There is also a prisoner's corridors which they had a real life reenactment of what it would have been like to be a prisoner. Let's face it, it would have sucked the big one! eeesh! Also, in another building is where the Jewel's of Scotland are. I have nicer jewelery in my jewelery box then these crown jewel's but whatever I guess.

After the castle we had some eats and set out for a Ghost Walking Tour throughout the city. We saw some of the "supernatural" and "unexplainable" events that happen in Edinburgh. We saw a freaky bridge, a cemetery with creepy stuff then we climbed King Arthur's seat a place where there are apparently some freaky fairies. It was really good!

We then made our way back to the hostel to defrost. Holy cats, I don't think we unfroze until the wee hours of the night.

Things I learned...

1. Edinburgh is pronounced "Edinbrraaaaa" I find if you say is if you are a gangsta and wave your hands as if you were rapping you can truly get the correct feel for the word. I find myself doing it quite often.
I love that everyone JUST tried it!

2. Sheep - Everyone has sheep. Mom you would really be in heaven in Scotland AND you would be helpful in sheep population control.

No comments: